Togley Singkam was abducted by Chinese PLA in March this year he is 21 and earns his livelihood in the Upper Subansiri district of Arunachal Pradesh working as a porter. He is a resident of Taksing area that lies along the India-China border.

His life took a turn on March 19 this year – months before India-China military faceoff began along the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh – as he was abducted by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA).

“I was in Indian territory on 19th March. I go in that area regularly for hunting to get food and we eat that. That was when the PLA officials came and whisked me away. I could not run away because they were in huge numbers.”He told India Today.

“They made me sit on the floor, tied my hands at the back with the neck, wrapped my face and took me away. When my eyes opened then I was in a Chinese camp. I was then tied to a bed and beaten up. I was taken in another vehicle to some other place. My face was covered and I was beaten up again”.

“I was kept in a dark room for entire 15 days. I was not allowed to close my eyes. Slapping, beating, shocks…everything was there,” he recounted.

“For 15 days, I was made to sit in a chair and not allowed to close my eyes for even fraction of a second. My condition was so bad that I could not tell daytime from night. I was given electric shocks and forced to confess that I am a spy of the Indian Army. They used to beat me randomly,” he said.

“I was given packaged food and only allowed to get up for using toilet. My hands were clipped to the chair all the time. No one can sit without closing eyes for such long time. But they gave me electric shocks if I did. But, I did not give up even after that,” he said.

This has irked the People’s Liberation Army of China which even tried matching his handwriting with pictures of these boards in order to gather “prove” that Togley Singkam was a part of the intelligence system of India.

“The Chinese Army used mobile phones to record what I said and then to translate the same into their own language, and vice versa. Their language was translated into Hindi for me and played on the phone,” he said.

“They only wanted to me to accept that I was working for the Indian Army, clicking photo of the area and revealing secret locations. I told them that I had come to the forest for hunting and I was caught unaware by the Army,” Togley Singkam maintained.

After his release in April, he heaved sigh of relief and expressed his gratitude to authorities for ensuring his safe comeback to India. He said, “They released me because of the intervention by the Indian Army. They played a crucial role in this.”

( As reported by India Today not edited by our News Desk)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *