TENSION ALONG LAC

A day after the news of Chinese troops breaching territory and allegedly open firing in the air along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) at the south bank of Pangong Tso in Eastern Ladakh sector was received, the Indian Army released another series of never-seen-before pictures of People’s Liberation Army (PLA) soldiers armed with spears and automatic rifles.
The images prove the Indian Army’s stance that China had, in fact, forced a physical clash on Monday. India however has strongly denied the claims made by the Chinese PLA that its soldiers transgressed across the LAC or resorted to any aggressive activity.
“While India is committed to disengage and de-escalate the situation on the LAC, China continued to undertake provocative actions to re-escalate the situation,” the Indian Army said in a statement earlier on Tuesday, adding that it is the PLA that has been blatantly violating agreements and carrying out aggressive actions against the peaceful agreements.
“India continues to dominate strategic peaks around southern bank of Pangong lake area. When Indian Army dissuaded Chinese PLA, they fired 10-15 rounds in air to intimidate our troops on Monday evening,” the Indian government said.
Meanwhile, China claims that the Indian troops on the eastern border of Ladakh “illegally crossed” the LAC and “blatantly fired warning shots”, forcing the PLA troops to take equivalent measures to stabilize the situation. “India’s action is being considered as a serious military provocation,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said.
China and India have long-held their protocol to avoid using firearms on the sensitive, demarcated border but the agreement has failed to prevent casualties. Both the countries have been engaged in a four month long face-off along the LAC that escalated after 20 Indian soldiers were killed in violent clashes with the Chinese PLA troops in June 2020.
The situation worsened after China unsuccessfully attempted to occupy Indian territory in the Southern Bank of Pangong lake when the two armies were engaged in diplomatic military talk to resolve the unsettled air along the border.
Another incident of five Arunachali hunters reported missing since September 2, were claimed by their families to be taken by the Chinese troops. The centre on September 8 said that China has confirmed that five men missing from Arunachal Pradesh ‘have been found on their side’ and the process is on to bring them back to India.
“China’s PLA has responded to the hotline message sent by Indian Army. They have confirmed that missing youths from Arunachal Pradesh have been found by their side. Further formalities to handover the people to our authority is being worked out,” Union Minister Kiren Rijiju tweeted.
“As a result of persistent efforts of Indian Army, five missing hunters from Indian side of LAC in Upper Subansiri, who in-evidently crossed over to other side on 2 September 2020, were traced. Chinese army on September 8 responded on hotline and confirmed that the missing Indians have been found on their side. Formalities for their early transfer are being coordinated with the Chinese Army,” the Indian Army said in a statement on Tuesday.
Amidst the ongoing tension between the two countries on the LAC, India is yet to confront China for the micro-aggressive actions they are carrying out despite their promises of abiding by the peaceful norms.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *